Monday, May 26, 2008

Why don't they recycle?

Recently, I was invited to a party. The hosts were lovely, the home was beautiful in a well-to-do area. Everything about the day was fantastic, except for one thing...they didn't recycle.

I noticed glass bottles in the trash, I thought maybe some partygoer made a mistake. Then another and another, no mistake.

Does their township not offer recycling? I can't imagine these intelligent, well read people would have a blatant disregard for the environment. I didn't ask. That would be poor etiquette.

It leaves me wondering, why don't they recycle? Cans, bottles and paper are the most widely recycled products in the nation. Why not there? I am sure there are many areas of our country that are still in the dark about recycling. We are the self-proclaimed leaders of the world, yet many other countries have far surpassed us environmentally.

It is our responsibility, to hold ourselves and our government accountable. The USA is more than capable of implementing recycling in every state, county and municipality...we should insist on it.

No comments: