Monday, May 12, 2008

Beautiful planters made from discards

I came across a beautiful little fountain, about 4 feet tall and made of resin. It was being discarded by someone because it had cracked where the pump would go and would no longer hold water. To that person it was useless, to me it would now become a beautiful planter. It has one bowl, approximately 24" in diameter and the fountain part is a boy holding a large carp. Very Renaissance looking. I placed the fountain where I intend to keep it before planting in it. I tucked it under a large Oak tree and between some Hosta. It will get a fair amount of shade there. The planter will drain well since it has a crack in it, however a few pebbles in the bottom won't hurt.

The fountain is a slate color, so I am using light colored flowers. Chartreuse colored Sweet Potato Vine around the edges for a trailing effect over the fountain's edge, White Impatiens and Coleus to fill the bowl of the planter.

It is an unusual item to choose for a planter, however, once planted it looks as though it was meant to be that way. It is a lovely addition to brighten a shady spot in my yard.

Another simple way I kept something that will never deteriorate out of a landfill. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

No comments: