Monday, June 8, 2009

My Two Favorite Fertilizers

Two of my favorite organic (that's all I use) fertilizers are TerraCycle All Purpose with Worm Poop and Merrill's Compost Tea.

I love them because they are 100% Natural Organic Products. These companies each make a product that is organic and beneficial from waste.

Milorganite has been around for over 80 years and is a by-product of Milwaukee's water treatment system. It is safe to use in any climate at any time of the growing season...even drought.

Milorganite contains no salts (that can burn turf) so it doesn't even need to be watered in to work. It relies on natural microbes in the soil to break down the nutrients.

Milorganite not only contains Nitrogen and Phosphorous, it also contains calcium, which is essential for nutrient uptake and Iron that makes everything a nice dark green. I use Milorganite on my lawn, trees, shrubs and perennials.

Merrill's Compost Tea is one of the most fantastic products I've ever used. They look like tea bags (don't drink them by mistake!). Keep an old gallon jug handy. Fill it up with tepid water and drop in one tea bag. Let it steep for an hour or so and then water your plants. I like to let my "tea" steep overnight. This is the best fertilizer for houseplants, annuals, roses and perennials. You can water as you normally would or foliar feed with a spray bottle. The first time I used this was in the middle of winter on my houseplants. The results were amazing! If they could have my plants would have jumped up and done a jig!

Both companies are committed to using natural resources and sustainable agriculture. These are truly earth friendly products. They are easy to use and inexpensive. The results will astound you!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: